Total Pageviews

Wednesday, March 28, 2012

"Take Me Home Tonight"

Have you ever felt as if you were born in the wrong time period?  Do you find yourself relating to an older generation?  I do.

As I have gotten older, I have found myself relating to older groups of people.  Seeing as I am only eighteen, when I say "older," I'm referring to people in their twenties or thirties- not Senior citizens.  I have always felt out of place when around my peers.  In fact many of my closest friends feel the same way as I do, and thus why they are my closest friends as a opposed to a teenage drama queen or junkie.  Anyways, the point is that I have never felt like I was supposed to be born in 1993.

My mother is my closest friend, she is 40, and this could be why I have or like to have friends that are more in her age-bracket.  Many of my older friends say I am on "old soul" and they are just immature for their ages, which could be true.  The fact that I grew up in a house with four adults- my mom, uncle, and grandparents- could also have an effect on my "ways." 
I feel as if I should have been born sooner, way sooner than the early-nineties.  Now I'm not talking about 1940s or back in colonial times, but possibly in the mid to late 70s.  I would have loved to grow up in the 80s and actually get to experience the 90s, come on let's face it- I was born in the 90s but I can't remember anything that was going on in world based upon experience.

I have mentioned this before, but I will say again- I love music.  My taste of music is very broad, and this is where the generation thing comes into play.  Growing up, my mother always exposed me to a wide-range of music from country to raw rap.  On our joyrides around town-she was young and a "free-bird" if you will- she would always play her old cassettes consisting of eighties, nineties, and her personal mixes.  I would go to school singing Journey's "Don't Stop Believing," in the sixth grade and sing all of Fleetwood Mac and a few solo songs by Stevie Nicks throughout high school.  What can I say?  I love the 70s, 80s, and 90s; and I love music and thus I can come across as "aged beyond my years."

In a way I guess it is a good thing that I was born when I was and can fantasize about the previous decades, rather than actually experience them- I can't imagine being in my thirties or forties already, then again the world is going to end in December right? Ha. Back to the point, I'd rather be considered "mature for my age" because I sing Pat Benatar (my favorite is "Love is a Battlefield) and watch John Hughes movies (Breakfast Club!) over more negative reasons i.e. drugs, sex, or act bitter and crabby.  Although it would still always be nice to go back and just experience a bit of it all.  Maybe if the world doesn't end in December, then time-travel may become a real possibility-sarcasm*.

P.s I wanted to offer you a blog from my community, of which actually gave me the idea to blog about this imbroglio of mine.

P.s.s I did some research online as to why people feel as if they were born in the wrong time period, but came up a little short.  From what I could gather and sum up, there isn't any actual scientific or psychological reasoning behind the mystery feelings only opinions-and many of them.  From the opinions that actually had some sort of reasoning, I gathered that: some people believe that the reason is because our souls are stuck in the past time at which we once lived and thus we yurn to return, while others believe it is simply natural human desire.  The human desire theory makes the most sense to me.  If you think about it, movies and music depict the best parts of the past time periods and enhance them.  I guess if I had been in the seventies, then I would wish I had been born in the twenties or so on.  The fact of the matter is that human desire is something that can not and possibly never will be fully explainable.

3 comments:

  1. I can totally relate to this post and I really feel the exact same way. I would give anything to be able to go see Led Zeppelin, Bob Dylan or The Steve Miller Band in concert. But not really because I wouldn't want to be like 40 right now. Anyways, it's a time period I wish that I could at least experience what a day would have been like.
    I find it interesting that you find yourself relating to "older" people and you correlated it to possibly being because you grew up with four adults. I definitely think that had an impact, as well as the exposure your mother gave you. I think your experiences throughout growing up are what create specific tastes for things like music, movies, and just social relation in general when you're older.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can also relate to being born in the wrong period. I have a older sister who's friends are my best friends. The only bad thing about that is my sister is 40 anad im 25 and her friends are her age. I tried to find friens my age but they are younge then me. I listen to the same music as older people and I love older clubs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Jessica: I'd give my left arm to see Led Zepplin in concert. And they're slightly beyond my age bracket, too! (But I did see Steve Miller when I was in high school. Sigh.)

    I think this happens to quite a few of us. I grew up with a single mom and her music (Motown, Fleetwood Mac, old Hall and Oates, Chicago, etc.) really grew on me. I certainly identify with music from the 70s even though I was a pipsqueak at the time.

    This is a great post: you connect with your readers and then you see comments that show connection. We then start a dialogue. Now think how you can enhance this: is there any psychological descriptions/writings on "feeling like we're from a different generation"?

    ReplyDelete