Total Pageviews

Monday, March 19, 2012

I'm Going To Do It, You'll See...

I do not own this image.  No copyright infringement intended. Courtesy of Google.
This week I want to return to a topic mentioned in the very beginning. A problem for many, especially young adults with society and media creating an image, is weight. Since I began blogging, I have lost twelve pounds total. I admit to not sticking to the plan as strictly as I should have been, but with the aid of Zumba classes and other aerobics I have slimmed my waist and other parts of my body down a bit.

I know the old saying goes that muscle weighs more than fat, but I wish the numbers would match how I feel. I feel stronger, faster, and healthier without the greasy foods literally weighing me down. It amazes me how little changes in diet can truly enhance emotional and physical feelings towards oneself. Although I have "relapsed" several times during my journey, I am getting back on track. I know I can do this, its all a matter of discipline.

Self-discipline is something I have concerning school, but in the department of exercise I am failing miserably. I admire those that are self-disciplined enough to stay on top of their workout routines as if they are simply habitual. I learned today, in my Zumba class that there are three main components to a healthy exercise routine that in turns creates the "perfect body". They are: Cardio, muscular strength and endurance, and flexibility.

Interesting enough my instructor told us of a few students that attend her other classes are big body-building men. Well these men had gotten in their minds that Zumba was "for girls," and that they got enough cardio from a treadmill. Apparently that is false, a treadmill or an elliptical unless it is used like this; is not beneficial in any way. Anyways, she told us [the class] that one of those guys lost four pounds in one session because all he ever focused on was strength.

Not to sound envious, but I wish I had THAT problem. The fact of the matter is that I have found it hard to stay focused on the goal, and each time I realize that I am or have fallen off track I want to give up completely. Its as if there is a little devil on my shoulder telling my fat ass to simply give up, but I have an angel on the other side telling me maybe I can do it.  Sometimes 'maybe' is good enough internal angel!  As silly as that sounds, this is what I have done in the past and clearly I am getting nowhere. This time I absolutely am going to continue on and learn some self-discipline.

Anyways, I better come to close and go to bed; that is another component that can effect weight gain or loss-sleep! Sorry if this posts seems to be all over the place, but it reflects my feelings of my diet plan very accurately- that being that I feel "all over the place" with my eating habits and goals that I have set for myself.

Here are some blogs that are more specific to weight loss and dieting:
http://battling-bulge.blogspot.com/
http://shutupskinnybitches.wordpress.com/
http://www.health-foodie.com/

3 comments:

  1. Your post is motivating to me (as it was my anniversary this weekend, we made a cake, and I caught myself eating some extra frosting right out of the can after dinner tonight. Oh!!! Willpower!).

    Anyhow, this was an interesting post, and you have great details here. A few small suggestions would be: when you link, name that link so readers know where you're sending us. Also what do you mean when "a treadmill is used like this"? Readers might/might not take links, and they're supplemental, so always provide all the necessary details right in your own texts so we can hyperlink for more info, but we can always get what we need out of your text first.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel that being in college makes sticking to healthy food and working out extremely hard. I know at least for me I eat out a lot because it is less time consuming to buy food than to make food. Also walking into a class with people that have food makes me want to get food also.

    ReplyDelete
  3. After I got a shoulder injury I was not able to workout for about 6 months and within that time I gained forty pounds (WOW I know). I ate the same, but the exercise was missing. When I hit 200 pounds I said no more. I still couldn't work out much so I had to change my diet. Eating is my kryptonite and like your blog says their seems to be a little devil/angel convincing you to eat and not eat. I have lost quite a bit of weight from changing diets and also starting my workouts again.

    Self discipline is very difficult especially if you have the means to eat when you feel the least bit hungary. I am glad that you are sticking with it even if you have off days. Just because you mess up one, two, or three days doesn't mean that you throw the whole thing out the window. Just restart and know that messing up is part of your past bad habits. Perhaps even thinking of it as restarting could be a bad way of thinking of it. Is that a "All or nothing" type of attitude? Maybe it should always just be a continuation?

    Did you know that the more Muscle mass your Body burns fat even when at rest? Here is a good blog about this- http://www.tbfinc.com/metabolism.htm

    ReplyDelete