Total Pageviews

Monday, February 6, 2012

Slimming Down the Addict

To continue with this week’s theme of reflecting back on posts thus far, I want to discuss the weight issue again.  At the moment of getting past caring about what other’s think of us, we can then focus more on what we think about ourselves-individually.  As I mentioned before, appearances are steadily amounting to contain importance in today’s society and targets young-adults more-so directly. 
Food addictions have arisen with the manufacture of fast-foods and other such conveniences.  With all of the hormones and preservatives being pumped into our food to make it more appealing, we are in-turn “pumping up” ourselves.  Because of this, we experience happiness from the foods but our bodies burn the “drug” too fast and make us crave the food once again and very soon.  Here is a link to a video on Dr. Oz's website, discussing the subject matter.  As Dr. Mike Dow mentions, there are foods that can do produce the same happiness in our bodies and last much longer in comparison to the junk foods.  Here is a list of foods he terms "booster foods." 


Battling the food addiction, and conquering can be life-changing.  Benefiting from weight-loss includes, but is not limited to: better self-esteem, emotionally and physically healthier, etc.  "The benefits are MANY and the good news is that significant benefits can be achieved with only a 10 percent weight loss."(The Health...)  I want to be able to make down to a more healthy size, and still continue to battle the drugging foods.  I have lost 9 pounds so far, and still have a lot more ways to go.  Maybe, in a long run, I will post before and after pictures WHEN I meet my goal.   


Here is another link to a blog that I found interesting and specifically focuses on food addictions.

"The Health Benefits of Losing Just 10% of Your Body Weight." (2012, January 11). Retrieved February 6,2012, from www.dailyspark.com

3 comments:

  1. This post is fascinating to me. What have you done to lose 9 lbs? (share with me!) What are the superfoods? What preservatives in foods are our downfall? You do a great job linking to sources, but give us a nibble (pun intended): share a detail or two to reel your readers right into the action.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, I will take that tip into great consideration. I was trying to model this post after a post I stumbled across, where the blogger allowed the links to draw her readers in. However, I see that I didn't quite utilize it correctly/ as intended.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it's great that you are tackling such a touchy subject. Two years ago I was 'stuck' in an abusive relationship and I was a depression eater. After I left my husband I realized that my kids only had me to depend on, so I went on a diet that has resulted in me losing more than 70 pounds. I still have another 30 to go, but the benefits it has caused in my life are extreme. I no longer feel like everyone stares when I walk into a room, and I'm able to talk to people more easily. I can play with my kids, wear more normal clothes, and just have a better life.

    It's a long road though. Losing weight isn't an instant self esteem fix. In fact, I feel less comfortable around men then I ever did before, and I when I look in the mirror I still only see how far I have to go and not how far I've come. Still- as your article points out, the effort is worth it just for the changes in health.

    ReplyDelete