Total Pageviews

Monday, January 30, 2012

Problems of the Past that have Led Me Here…

            The moment I graduated and would move away for a four-year college was always a dream of mine, who’s isn’t?  However, upon my senior year, plans were changed.  I graduated high school with honors, and decided to attend NVCC in the upcoming fall.  Although it was never my goal to attend community college, due to the negative connotations it can carry, it became a much better plan. 
             I was quite hesitant upon attending NVCC, perhaps because of pride.  As the time drew closer for application deadlines, NVCC seemed economically ideal.  Why go off to a four-year school and pay almost three times the amount in tuition than I would at a community college.  The only troubles that I faced were that I still had the fantasy that I could always receive assistance, especially with the grades I had sustained all throughout school.  Should I leave, against my family’s wishes, and go off to a four-year university; or stay at home and attend community college, all the while still dealing with the stresses of family matters?
             An article from CBS News reported that the amount of young adults that return home after graduating from a university has steadily increased since 2007.  They termed this increasingly large group from the new generation “boomerang kids,” meaning just that.  “‘I want a job that I can show that I am talented, that my talent isn't going to waste and I want to be able to support myself and be able to support my family down the line,’ Young says.”(6M, Russ Mitchell)  A thought that I too share, and so do many other young adults that find themselves in this sort of situation. 
            The problem within myself started with the weighing of my two options.  I could go away and most likely end up becoming a “boomerang kid” or I could simply stay home and drudge through the all-too normal butting of the heads between my parents and I. 
            Obviously I stayed home and have become a student of NVCC.  This is my second semester, and after completing the first- I have made the right choice.  I made the Dean’s List, but some of peers that went off to school did not do so well.  I am taking the same classes that my friends are taking; only I am paying less than half than they are in tuition alone, and performing academically better than they are.  I have to give credit to my mother for advising me into the right direction.  I am happy at this point in my life, but still suffer through parental issues.  To be continued in a later Blog-Post.

6M young U.S. adults live with their parents. (2011, December 4). Retrieved January 30, 2012, from www.cbs.news.com

3 comments:

  1. Hey Shawn,
    When you say "assistance," what do you mean? Scholarships? You know what would be interesting? Do a calculation of the money you will save in the 2 years that you go to NOVA (tuition, room and board, food plan, etc.), and then give your mom a big hug. If it's under $30,000, I'd be surprised!

    I look forward to reading more. What are the family matters, for example?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know exactly what you are talking about. I felt the same way, not looking forward to going to community college mainly due to the negative thoughts that come with it. I remember my mom told me that I needed to stop saying I was "'just' going to NOVA" whenever people asked what college I was going to attend; she said it sounded like I wasn't even considering it as a college. I hadn't even realized I was saying "just" before it, that's just the way I thought of it so that's how it came out.
    I do agree though! It was definitely the smarter option financially and I'm glad that I chose community college before going off to a four-year college.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great blog. Its funny because, there is probably a lot more people who think likewise. I sure did when I first started attending NOVA. As semesters passed I realized that you do recieve a great education for a fraction of the price. It really is a win win situation.

    ReplyDelete